Please update your Flash Player to view content.
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Blackfish Recipes!

Blackfish Recipes! 29 Sep 2011 13:07 #5

• odwyet
  • Captain
October 1st is only a few days away... I'm ready to celebrate. Here in NY we wait all summer to catch and consume these delicious bottom fish. Pair a blackfish dinner with a good Fall Brew and you'll be set for a great meal.

From a culinary perspective, Blackfish (aka Tautog) is one of the most versatile fish in our local waters. The flaky white meat is delicate and sweet enough to eat plain, at the same time you can jazz it up with almost any spice, sauce, or marinade. The versatility of this fish really shines in the preparation department. You can: fry it, bake it, poach it, grill it, smoke it, cook it whole, put it in a chowder, soup, etc. It goes great with Pasta, makes excellent fish sandwiches and in my opinion the best fish tacos.

So in spirit of the October 1st Holiday post your favorite blackfish recipes, be creative and try something new. I will be adding recipes throughout the month so stay tuned.

Here are some BBQ blackfish sliders that I put together last October
bbqblackfishsliders.jpg
Last Edit: 04 Oct 2011 19:21 by odwyet.

Re: TOG Day - October 1st fall harvest - Post Recipes 02 Oct 2011 22:37 #8

• odwyet
  • Captain
Tog Day... My favorite holiday

Shawn, Al and myself braved the elements Saturday; North winds, rough seas, extreme tides and crappy visibility. We were still able to scrap together a few fish on the north shore. I took one nice white chin, roughly 10 lbs. Shawn also had a nice fish ~6lbs.

Today I took a quick dive between 10-11:30 for the first push of the incoming. Visibility was pretty bad but it cleaned up as the tide started pushing, 4-6 ft. I took 3 decent fish, each around 5 lbs, I was looking for something bigger but never found it. My buddy took his first ever tog as well.

All the fish I've seen have been holed up deep. Today I switched from a riffe C-0 to my Ray Odor pole spear. I removed one of the sections which shortened the overall length to 4'. Its a great weapon for taking stubborn holed up fish.

I lost my Iphone at some point today which I'm really pissed about... With it was all my pictures... If you see it on the bottom let me know... I was able to salvage one picture that I already uploaded on Saturday.
Whitechin.jpg
Last Edit: 02 Oct 2011 22:38 by odwyet.

Re: TOG Day - October 1st fall harvest - Post Recipes 04 Oct 2011 13:44 #9

• odwyet
  • Captain
Here is a quick and easy Tog bisque recipe. It tastes incredible, Serves 8-10, total prep time ~1:15 minutes.

If you have spare time you can create your bisque base from scratch. But I highly recommend using the Campbell’s soup as a base; it tastes great and saves a ton of time. You can add seasonings or tweak the ingredients as you like, these are general guidelines.

Ingredients:
4-5 Yukon gold potatoes
1-2 large yellow onion
3 stalks celery
1.5-2 lb blackfish fillet
4 cloves garlic
1/2 stick butter
3 cans Campbell’s tomato bisque (or tomato soup if bisque isnt available)
2 can Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup
5 cups whole milk
Olive oil
Large ciabatta bread
Sea salt
Black pepper
Sherry

1. Melt butter in the bottom of a large pot, then add in chopped onion, garlic and celery, sauté.
2. In the meantime add a tbsp+ of olive oil to a non stick pan and add in finely chopped potatoes, cook until brown and slightly crispy (15-20 minutes)
3. Add potatoes into large pot with sautéed onion, garlic and celery.
4. Add canned soup and 5 cups of whole milk, stir and heat until rolling, do not bring to full boil.
5. Add cubed blackfish and let it simmer on low for 20 min +
6. Add sherry, salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with toasted ciabatta bread and a dark fall brew; Oktoberfest, Pumpkin, IPA
Last Edit: 04 Oct 2011 15:00 by odwyet.

Re: Blackfish Recipes! 03 Nov 2011 17:59 #19

• odwyet
  • Captain
I got out yesterday for a quick late season dive, Matt (Bandito) drove out from NYC to join me. We left Setauket harbor around 4:30 and were in the water by 5:00. Our first spot was a shallow rock pile ~15’ deep. I saw a few 14-16” fish on the first drop and shot a 22” ~8lb chin on the second drop. I used my 44” Riffe Midhandle once again but I could have gotten away with a pole spear or my 32 Biller. After 2 drops the tog holed up pretty good, a few minutes later I drilled a 17.5” Tog that was around some rocks. Even with only 2 bands loaded the shaft passed through the gills and smacked a rock which was 4ft in the backdrop. The rock toasted the aftermarket flopper shaft (its not the first time), bent it like a pretzel (30 degrees to the left), that’s OK since I needed new shafts anyways for next season. The shaft snapped in half when I tried to straighten it out on the cleat of the boat, too much plastic deformation I guess, next time I’ll try to cold work the shaft at home with a torch and some water.

We headed east to a second spot after about 30 minutes, hoping on some better viz. The second spot was pretty much the same setup in 10-20’ of water. Unfortunately it was either pretty dead or picked clean; I took one fish which was just over 14” and saw nothing of quality. Matt had a good dive and got some solid practice with his new Christ pole spear while hunting a few decent fish that were holed up.

The water temperature changed significantly since last week, it dropped from 66 to 56. Air temperature was in the 50’s, wind was calm. Visibility was similar all around, a green 4-8 feet, it should have been better; it looks like the storm stirred up the sound a bit. I believe the Fat Lady is about to sing as far as the inshore shallow diving is concerned. The fish are thinning out as they normally do right around Election Day, the white crabs have moved in as well. My buddy crushed the fish in 30’ of water on Monday with R&R, 35 keepers (ORL) in only a few hours. I may dive a few deeper wrecks if the visibility improves but most likely will be hanging up the dive gear and focusing on R&R fishing as well as hunting.

Pumkinseed Tog Recipe

This makes great hor dourve for Thanksgiving

-~1.5 lbs blackfish fillet (deboned)
-~1 cup pumpkin seed kernals
-2 cups Panko bread crumbs
-2 cups flour
-3 eggs
-½ cup milk
-Quart Vegetable oil
-Franks Redhot sweet chili sauce/Duck Sauce/Raspberry Preserves

1. Put 1 cup+ pumpkinseed kernals in food processor chop until coarse, put chopped pumpkin kernals into bowl mix with approximately 2 cups of panko bread crumbs.
2. Beat 3 eggs in a bowl and mix in ½ cup milk.
3. Add vegetable oil into a large pot or fryer (about 1.5-2 inches), preheat to 350 degrees F. Use extreme caution.
4. Cut blackfish fillet into strips roughly 2-3 inches long and 1 inch wide
5. Pat strips dry with paper towel and dredge in flour to evenly coat without excess, dip in egg mixture and then evenly coat with pumpkinseed/panko
6. Place breaded strips in hot oil and fry until golden brown (~5 minutes)
7. Serve on a platter with a dipping sauce and enjoy.

I’ve been using this new Franks RedHot sweet chili sauce, its like a sweet duck sauce spiced up with red pepper and chilis. You can use almost any type of dipping sauce (especially sweet), be creative and possibly use something from the harvest; duck sauce mixed with a little teriyaki, raspberry preserves, maybe something with honey or marmalade, etc. This recipe is a basic guideline, feel free to add or change whatever you think is necessary.

Toghead.jpg

togtail.jpg

doubletog.jpg

1Ingredients.JPG

2pumkinseedbreadcrumb.JPG

3precooked.JPG

4fry.JPG

5freshoutoffryer.JPG

Re: Blackfish Recipes! 03 Nov 2011 18:00 #20

• odwyet
  • Captain
6FinalPresentation.JPG

Final Presentation

Re: Blackfish Recipes! 12 Dec 2011 16:56 #22

• odwyet
  • Captain
Bacon Wrapped Blackfish!

Here's a quick hor devours I threw together for Thanksgiving. Its very similar to a bacon wrapped scallop but with Blackfish. Give it a try! It would also work well with Striped Bass.

Package of Bacon (Boars Head/Smithfield/etc) strips cut in 1/2 lengths
1.5 lbs Blackfish fillet deboned and cubed into roughly 1" x 1.5" x 1' pieces
1 cup flour
2-3 tbsp cajun seasoning
tooth picks
Oil for frying (vegetable, peanut, or canola)
Dipping Sauce of choice (Soy Vei Teriyaki, Spicy Duck Sauce, Garlic Parmesan, Raspberry, etc)

1. Remove bacon from package and cut strips in 1/2 lengths.
2 Mix flour with Cajun seasoning in large bowl
3. Cube up blackfish fillet and lightly coat in seasoned cajun four
4. Wrap blackfish cubes with 1/2 length of bacon, pierce with toothpick to hold together
5. Preheat approx 1.5" of frying oil in a deep pan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
6. Submerge bacon wrapped blackfish in oil and cook for 6-8 minutes or until bacon starts to brown, blackfish will dry out quick, be weary to not not over cook.
7. Carefully remove from oil and place on dry paper towels to drain excess oil.
8. Serve and enjoy with dipping sauce of choice.

Here are a few photos before they were cooked, I was unable to take a photo of the finished product, my apologies.
Baconblackfish.JPG

BaconBlackfish2.JPG
Last Edit: 12 Dec 2011 16:59 by odwyet.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin